Real Men Don’t Like Opera

Category : Blog Archive Jun 11th, 2009

Another opera commercial makes this assertion:

The most recent NEA study on arts participation, based on information gathered in 2002, did indicate that 58% of the overall opera audience in America is female. (With regard to the remaining 42%, the study does not indicate what portion is made up of straight men being dragged to the opera by a significant other to ingest what Ralph Locke has called their “cultural spinach.” And yes, I realize this commercial depicts Canadians.)